Quick Sourdough French Bread
- 4 to 5 cups bread flour
- 2 tablespoons wheat germ
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- 2 pkg. fast acting dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (120° to 130° F)
- 1 cup dairy sour cream, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons poppy seed
- In large bowl, combine 1 ½ cups flour, and next five ingredients; blend well. Add water, sour cream and vinegar to flour mixture. Blend at low speed until moistened; beat 3 minutes at medium speed. Stir in an additional 2 to 2 ½ cups flour until dough pulls away from sides of bowl.
- On floured surface, knead in remaining ½ to 1 cup flour until dough is smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Place dough in greased bowl; cover loosely with plastic wrap and cloth towel. Let rise in warm place (80° to 85° F) until light and doubled in size, 25 to 35 minutes.
- Grease large cookie sheet. Punch down dough several times to remove all air bubbles. Allow to rest on counter covered with inverted bowl for 15 minutes. Divide dough in half; roll each half to 14×8-inch rectangle. Starting with longest side, roll up; pinch edges firmly to seal. Place seam side down on greased cookie sheet; taper ends to a point. With sharp knife, make five ¼ inch deep diagonal slashes on top of each loaf. Cover; let rise in warm place until light and doubled in size, about 15 minutes.
- Heat oven to 375° F. Bake 25 minutes. In small bowl, beat egg white and water. Remove bread from oven; brush with egg white mixture. Sprinkle with poppy seed. Return to oven. Bake an additional 5 to 10 minutes or until loves sound hollow when lightly tapped. Immediately remove from cookie sheet; cool on wire racks.
Makes 2 (17-oz.) loaves.